HIPPY stands for Home Instructions for Parents of Preschool Youngsters.
Under the supervision of, and with training and support from the Program Coordinator, Home Visitors provide the HIPPY program to newcomer parents and help them to teach their 3-5 year old child and prepare them for school; and also develop their own career plan to prepare for future employment and/or educational opportunities after they leave the program.
Reports to: EIS Program Director
- Making weekly visits (and make-up visits, if necessary) to participating families for the purpose of role-playing activity packets
- Participation in the planning and execution of group meetings, which could include role-playing the subsequent week’s activity packet, field trips, games and activities with the children and educational opportunities for the parents
- Participation in weekly team training, preparation of curriculum, and other staff professional development
- Participation in all sponsored HIPPY activities (i.e., field trips, graduations, award ceremonies, etc.)
- Keeping the Program Coordinator abreast of child/family progress and familial issues and concerns as they arise
- Timely completion and submission of required reports and other documentation as required by Eastman Immigrant Services and/or Mothers Matter Centre
- Assist in maintaining an efficient record keeping system of program operations and participating families by entering data into the ETO computer system.
- High school diploma and a solid combination of on-the-job training and work experience in the community with families from diverse backgrounds.
- Ownership of a vehicle and valid drivers license.
- Good (functional) oral and written communication skills, including good reading skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to be task oriented.
- Ability to adhere to schedules and specific timetables.
- Demonstrated potential leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated emotional maturity and sensitivity to the needs and interests of the newcomer community
- Eligible for participation in the HIPPY program
- A parent of a three-, four- or five-year-old
- A member of the newcomer community
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.00-$19.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Steinbach, MB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
Work Location: In person