1. Settlement Services
The staff at Eastman Immigrant Services (EIS) is pleased to assist all newcomers with permanent resident status or temporary residents. Let our settlement staff welcome you to your new community.
Services that will help you settle:
- Orientation about life in the Southeast Manitoba region
- Assistance with the Canadian Citizenship application
- English language training referrals
- Assistance with important documents such as: Manitoba Health, PR Card Renewal, Social Insurance Number (SIN), Child Tax Benefits, and other applications.
- School registration and adult learning referrals
- Overview of Canadian law
- Referrals to local organizations
Book a service with a Settlement Facilitator:
Erna Friesen | Settlement Facilitator
Languages spoken: English, Spanish, German,
Joshua Madula | Settlement Facilitator
Languages spoken: English, Tagalog, Bisaya,
Theo Muthumwa | Settlement Facilitator
Languages spoken: English, French, Swahili, Lingala, Kinande,
Lee Eun Kim | Settlement Facilitator (Interlake Region)
Languages spoken: English, Korean,
2. Employment Services
If you wish to update your resume or if you are looking for a job in the region, we can help you achieve your goals.
Book now for an appointment with our employment facilitator. Click on the button and find out.
Book a service with an Employment Services Specialist:
Viktoria Vladmirova | Employment Facilitator
Languages spoken: English, Russian,
3. Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS)
The goal of SWIS is to assist newcomer families in every way possible so that they successfully integrate into the Canadian culture. We help these families to better understand the Canadian education system and are advocates in the schools and communities for these families.
We assist and provide the following services:
- School Registrations
- Homework Help
- In-Class Assistance (i.e. assistance with school assignments)
- Online Assistance (i.e. assistance with school assignments via Zoom, or Google Hangouts, etc.)
- Translation/ Interpretation Services
- Assisting with Communication between Schools and Newcomer Families
- Newcomer Awareness Presentations (in Class)
- Lunch Clubs, After-School Programs and Sports Activities
- Needs-Assessment and Follow-Up
SWIS works very closely with the Settlement Workers of the Eastman Immigrant Services (EIS), who do the general assessment and assistance of the family. All of SWIS’ services are cost free, because it is funded by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).SEE UPCOMING SWIS EVENTS
Book a service with a SWIS Worker:
Rene Schulz | SWIS Worker
Languages spoken: English, High German,
4. Eastman Region Immigration Partnerships (ERIP)
Eastman Region Immigration Partnerships are community-based partnerships that provide a collaborative framework to raise awareness around newcomers’ needs and engage a wide range of local actors in fostering welcoming communities; supports community-level research and strategic planning; improves accessibility and coordination of services that facilitate immigrant settlement and integration (settlement organizations and mainstream institutions).SEE UPCOMING ERIP EVENTS
Get in touch with us to learn about how ERIP can benefit you:
Marcel Marinho | Eastman Region Immigration Partnerships Coordinator
Languages spoken: English, Spanish, Portuguese,
5. English For Work
Classes are free for everyone legally entitled to work in Canada. Knowing English will give you confidence in your workplace and give you more opportunities to talk to your neighbours and friends.
With English classes, you can expect a language level assessment to help you decide which class to enter. Each class teaches you about Canadian culture cues, employee & employer rights and responsibilities, how to reach your career goals, and much more.
See the schedule and sign up for classes below:SIGN UP
Southeastern Manitoba is known for its friendly residents. The welcoming spirit of people in the community is especially appreciated by newcomers and immigrants to the region.
The Eastman Immigrant Services volunteer program exists to create meaningful opportunities for volunteers to support newcomers who are transitioning to the Eastman Region. Through one-to-one contacts, small groups, and large community events, volunteers form an integral part of a positive settlement and integration experience.
We have a variety of volunteer positions available, including:
- Language Buddy (in-person or online)
- Citizenship Class Facilitator
- Settlement Partner
- One-to-One Citizenship Tutor
Komal Mahant | Volunteer & Integration Coordinator
Languages spoken: English, Hindi, Gujarati,
Email:APPLY TO VOLUNTEER